Find out important information about hiking the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
Our Safety Policies
- We do not take children under 7 years of age on our buses. Children need to be able to walk the distance comfortably and without help.
We do not run our shuttles on poor weather days. Parts of the Crossing can be unsafe in high wind or poor visibility. Please see Cancellation paragraph below.
If you have any issues on the Crossing, we offer a free turn-around option if you return to the start of the Crossing.
- We collect EVERYONE at the end of the day.
If you miss the last shuttle we will come back to get you. If you are late because of circumstances within your control we will charge a call out fee.
- We Leave No One Behind!
What You Should Bring
- Plenty of food or snacks
- Plenty of water (2 litres per person recommended)
- Sturdy-soled and securely fitting boots/shoes.
- Extra layers of warm clothing (wool/polypropylene. NOT cotton/denim)
- Warm hat and gloves
- Rain jacket
- Sun block and sun hat
- Cell phone
- Walking poles (if you have any knee issues).
- The Crossing takes 6 to 8 hours at average walking speed. If you are a slow walker or plan to stop often it is recommended you take the earlier shuttle.
Buses Depart From
Outside Whakapapa Holiday Park, Whakapapa Village, State Highway 48, Tongariro National Park.
Please be there 5-10 minutes before departure time. Buses leave on time.
Parking for your vehicle is currently available on State Highway 48 or in the public car park next to the Holiday Park. As a courtesy, please leave parking spaces outside the Visitor Centre free for their visitors.
In Case of Cancellation
The decision to run shuttles for the following day is made after each midday forecast. If poor weather is indicated, we will cancel shuttles for the following day and notify you by email.
Please check your emails or phone us (0800 762 612) the afternoon before for confirmation that we are running.
If Shuttles are put ‘On Hold’
On rare occasions, we will place shuttles On Hold if the weather forecast indicates uncertain weather. We will make a decision at 6.30am the following morning after checking the latest forecast.
If shuttles are then cancelled you will have the option for a full refund or to transfer your booking to another date.